With 49 of the Top 50 Breweries in the United States selling their branded merch online, it seems like a no brainer that you should too. Choosing and maintaining an eCommerce platform for your craft brewery doesn't need to be a huge pain in the ass.
Here's a quick reference of the top platforms in use today:
||Who's using it?
Basic plan starts at $29/month
14 day free trial
- Easy to get started
- Simple interface
- Good selection of well-designed themes
- Hosting and SSL certificate included
- Great customer support
- PCI compliant right out of the box
- Limited customization available for fully-branded experiences.
- Low-cost entry leads to high-cost upgrades. 'Advanced' options like reports and shipping rates start at $299/month.
- B2C focused
- Limited developer support
- Premium themes can cost over $150
- Closed Platform
- Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
- Shiner Beer
- Bell's Brewery, Inc.
- Oskar Blues
- SweetWater Brewing Co.
- Minhas Craft Brewery
- Harpoon Brewery
- Alaskan Brewing Co.
- Troegs Brewing Co.
- Rhinegeist Brewery
- Shipyard Brewing Co.
- Allagash Brewing Co.
- Narragansett Brewing Co.
- Flying Dog Brewery
- Surly Brewing Co.
- Three Floyds Brewing Co.
- Karl Strauss Brewing Co.
- Georgetown Brewing Co.
- Uinta Brewing Co.
- Full Sail Brewing Co.
- Modern Times Beer
- Lost Coast Brewery
Free self-hosted options available
- Backed by a Fortune 500 company (Adobe)
- Flexible and highly customizable
- Extensive add-on capabilities
- Open platform
- Large developer community
- Complete control over environments
- Over 3,600 extensions available
- Includes built-in B2B features
- Robust order management
- Advanced payment and shipping capabilities
- Extensive promotion capabilities
- Large feature set is perhaps overkill for many smaller companies
- Larger learning curve to use
- Requires a developer to install and fully customize
- Servers need to be optimized for Magento to perform well
- Duvel Moortgat
- Southern Tier Brewing Co.
- Brooklyn Brewery
- 21st Amendment Brewery
- Rogue Ales
Free to get started on WordPress
- Great option for WordPress users
- Extensions are available via "Feature Store"
- Thousands of designs available through WordPress Themes
- Large developer community
- Requires WordPress
- Limited extensions
- Adding additional extensions can get expensive quick
- Requires WooCommerce-friendly WordPress themes
- Self-managed hosting, security, and maintenance
- Not ideal for large and complex catalogs
- Tough to scale for large sites
- Relying on WordPress theme developers can lead to buggy or insecure checkout experiences (not easy to spot)
- Matt Brewing Co.
- Odell Brewing Co.
- August Schell Brewing Co
- Ninkasi Brewing Co.
- Saint Arnold Brewing Co.
- Bear Republic Brewing Co.
- Left Hand Brewing Co.
|Other great choices in use:
||Nexternal (North Coast Brewing Co., Cigar City Brewing, Ballast Point), Avetti (Deschutes Brewery), BigCommerce (Gordon Biersch Brewing Co.), Foxy.io (Stevens Point Brewery)